Sunday 28 February 2016

Madison's iceBike* Event: Practical Discoveries

Sorry for the radio silence. I am now back on the bike and "back in the game" after a bad bout of dermatitis. I hate when these things strike: it takes all my mental energy and focus to keep on top of treatment and in control of my feelings (frustration + sleep deprivation = despair). 

Never mind, my life is no longer a prison of itching and pain. Yesterday was one of the first 'nearly normal' days since 2nd February -- so Adam and I went to the iceBike* Show in Milton Keynes. 


iceBike* is an industry show held by Madison, one of the largest distributors of cycling brands in the UK and supplier to many bicycle wholesale and retail businesses. The show is open only to trade for three days and is then open to the public over the following weekend. It chiefly functions to inform shop owners and managers about new products and upgrades and launches, so they can plan their purchase and inventory decisions for the coming year. Because Madison handles so many brands, the range of products on show is quite extensive, including brand new products coming out of years of research and development that have not yet been made available to the public. 

For us, attending the show felt much like viewing an exhibition. 


Bicycle on show included established brands Ridley, Ridgeback, Genesis and Saracen, as well as relative newcomers such as Adventure Outdoors. The biggest space for clothing and accessories was occupied by Pearl Izumi. Thule and Park Tools also had large stands. Several lights manufacturers were also present, including Light & Motion. Kryptonite and Quadlock were just two lock brands in attendence. Accessories brand Elite also displayed a wide selection of their products. 

Bicycle component options were dominated by Shimano and Pro Gear.

By far the busiest and most popular stand on Saturday afternoon was the one offering free static bike fittings. (I am saying nothing about the merits of this kind of thing!)  



That's all for overview. For me personally, the highlights were discovering specific items that may address particular needs that I have identified. These are:

1. Handlebar-Mount Bottle Cages

Adam and I are preparing our folding bicycles for our trip to southern France in June. One of the small niggles not yet sorted completely to my satisfaction is a means of carrying water. I have been using the Monkii Cage & Clip this past week, which works great -- for one bottle. However, for a cycling holiday in Provence in early summer, I expect I will wish I could carry two bottles within easy reach.

I had not yet started researching suitable options but the first items to catch my eye on entering the iceBike* show (aside from that gorgeous Eddy Merckk bicycle) were these vintage style cages from Elite:



Careful study gives me hope that this system should fit on Lucy the Brompton with the bottles facing towards me. I'll let you know how they work out. 

2. Compact Drop Handlebars

I want a short reach, compact handlebar with flat 'ergo' tops as I have on Riley my Enigma Etape, except in a very slightly wider size (40 instead of my current 38s).  Unfortunately, the particular FSA model that I bought when building Riley up in the summer of 2013 was discontinued last year and I've not been able to find a size 40 in stock anywhere. 

If and when I find a replacement bar for Riley  that I'm happy with, I will want a second one for Bridget the Cross Check, which at the moment is fitted with a different FSA with 'ergo' tops but also unfortunately with the 'ergo' style bend to the hooks and drops -- which I find virtually unusable. 

Looking for one new bar but times two means I want something that doesn't break the bank. Until now the only comparable handlebar I had found currently available is the FSA Energy Compact Wing Pro Bar but at £90 each (currently available in some sizes in some shops at just under £70), which is just enough beyond my budget to have me still looking around. 

The Pro PLT Compact Ergo Bar may be just the ticket: 






3. Narrow 'Minimalist' Rear Rack 

I've been hankering after an elegant rear rack for Petra (aka Puch Princess #2). So far, the only models to make my shortlist is the Axiom Streamliner and the Tortec Epic, both available on ebay. 

Madison offer the AR2 Road Rack under its M:Part brand. This model has the advantages of adjustable "legs", which would allow the rack to sit high enough to clear the 28 width tyres and full mudguards that Petra sports. (It is also disc-brake compatible -- not relevant to Petra but worth bearing in mind if something happened to the Tubus rack currently on Riley.)




We also took an interest in the shoes on display, as Adam's MTB shoes are wearing through at the toes.  He likes the look, feel, light weight and price of Shimano's XC31 and will likely order these in sizes 46 and 47 to see which fits best. 


The other general category of products in which I currently have an interest (though not for myself) is touring bicycles. I would like to see more bicycles designed and built up ready to roll out and hit the road (minus perhaps panniers and of course your personal kit) that are decent quality from reputable brands at a price point well under £1,000 -- ideally in the £500-£750 range -- aimed at and appropriate for those who are perhaps new enough to cycling that they haven't entirely stopped having that "it costs how much??!" reaction to every price tag.  In other words, I want to see options that -- balancing quality against price -- I would be happy to recommend to friends who are becoming interested in, not so much the bikes themselves, but where bikes can take them.

And this is where I think we are finally seeing some progress in the industry beyond steel offerings from Dawes (which are still too expensive for the potential tourists I know). 

I am increasingly impressed by Ridgeback, in particular models such as (in order of ascending pricetags) the Tour, Voyage and Panorama. I am linking through to information on Ridgeback's website -- don't be alarmed by the recommended retail prices there, as bargains are definitely to be found in shops! All these models have appropriate gearing ranges for touring and take tyres at least 32 wide plus mudguards and racks as desired. The only thing you'll need to add after purchase is lights.

Voyage -  Reynolds 520 cro-moly steel frame, triple 48/36/26 chainset with 9 speed 11-34t cassette

Panorama -- real world gearing: triple 48/36/26 chainset
with 9 speed 11-32t cassette (Shimano gears, brakes and hubs)

Panorama - Reynolds 725 steel, available in sizes 47-60

I enjoyed the iceBike* show and hope to attend again next year.

Meanwhile, the next event in my calendar is Bespoked, the UK's Handmade Bicycle Show in Bristol in mid-April and I am very much looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This