Saturday 16 January 2016

Revisiting The "What To Wear" Winter Challenge


   
London cycling

Two of my very first posts after starting this blog covered my experiences and recommendations for clothing and accessories to keep yourself comfortably dry and warm enough to cycle through the winter. The commuting version is here, and the road cycling version is here

Three years on, my commute has changed so that it is, in fact, mostly road cycling -- with a 10-minute ride at the London end that can be done in pretty much any kind of clothing suitable for light exercise (comparable to walking) in whatever the weather conditions are on the day. The road cycling component of my commute (25-30 minutes inbound, 35-40 minutes outbound) however poses challenges in terms of temperature and moisture control. 

Cycle to Work Day, September 2014
(only a 3 mile ride to the train station,
so I tended to just half dress for the office)

I have been doing this new 12-mile roundtrip road commute for 10 months now. This is my first winter and I have wondered how "deep" into the winter I would get before feeling the need to take a few weeks off (perhaps six weeks at most... if I'm lucky) through the very worst of the winter with a view to restarting in the spring (early March... if I'm lucky). 

Meanwhile, however, I realise that my "commuting wardrobe" and "road cycling wardrobe" have morphed into one, with a few variations depending on how cold it is and/or how wet it is. 

Add to this the fact that much of my kit from three years ago has come up due for replacement, and I have found myself researching, testing and buying new "staple" items. 

So what have I found and is it any good or is it (as happens all too often) turning into a long drawn out process of trial and error, purchases and returns?  Well, I am relieved (indeed surprised) and very pleased to find that for the most part, the 3-4 main "outfits" I have put together are working extremely well. 

Here is a run down and my impressions (with a few photos and links) of what I'm currently wearing each day. A couple items are quite new and I am still exploring the scope of their functionality (how waterproof? how breathable? what range of temperatures) -- I will identify those as they are mentioned. 

MILD / MOSTLY DRY

November and December saw unseasonably "mild" temperatures in the UK, in the 6-10 degree Celsius range (about 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit). Days were increasingly grey and gloomy, with some drizzle, but the South East was not hit with much in the way of prolonged rain. It was, however, quite windy, both in terms of sustained winds and also strong gusts. These were often right at my limit of what I have previously been comfortable with, but I found my confidence and technique improved so that there was never a day that was seriously "too windy to be safe".

The progression into autumn went roughly like this: 

* substitute the short sleeve jersey under my gillet for a long sleeve jersey... 
* swap the gillet for a long-sleeved light windbreaker and add leg warmers... 
* swap the windbreaker for a softshell and the leg warmers for trousers over cycling shorts. 
* add Windstopper headband to keep the chillier breezes off the ears. 
* then as autumn slid into winter, the cycling shorts became 3/4 tights and then the ankle socks became knee highs... 
* summer mitts were retired in favour of long-fingered (still summer weight) gloves. 
* then the trousers went back on over the tights. 
* At some point, a wool cap joined the headband. 
* Add lightweight waterproof overshoes on damp days (water from the roads will get you wetter than water coming down from the sky). 

So here you have: 
- headband
- wool cap
- long-sleeved merino baselayer
- merino Buff
- Road Holland softshell jacket
- Rapha 3/4 tights
- Long Vulpine dotty socks
- dhb cargo trousers
- Shimano road shoes
- Craft Rain Bootie overshoes

The Road Holland Amsterdam jacket (of which it seems a women's version is no longer available) has panels of wind-proof (ish!) fabric lining the front of the jacket. I'm not sure how effective this really is, but this jacket does keep me comfortable a few degrees lower than my Gore Power 2.0 Windstopper Softshell Jacket with the 'windproofing' in a membrane rather than as a liner.  

On some days, I reached for roubaix (fleece-lined) long tights rather than the 3/4 tights + trousers combation.

Occasionally, a short-sleeve jersey might go over the base layer. 

If it felt just a wee bit colder, I'd swap the waterproof overshoes for Gore Windstopper ones. These are lovely and cosy -- brand new ones here, with tags still on!

WET / MILD 

And then the rains began to come, on more days than not. 

My Gore Oxygen jacket had been re-proofed a number of times, with several different products, but simply wasn't 100% up to the job anymore: water would seep in around the zip and the fabric would wet out around the neck. 

Time for a new jacket then. Would it be Gore again? I hoped to find something less race-cut, that would accommodate layers underneath it a little better. 

Meanwhile, my old Craft Active Rain trousers had also reached the beyond-reproofing stage. This was quite a loss as these had seen me through (I believe) four winters and were both effective and a decent fit for someone of my proportions (which various versions of Gore waterproof trousers simply were not). 


My only "complaint" (if you could call it that) was that the old Craft trousers were quite heavy -- great in the winter but completely out of the question in spring and autumn. 

Fortunately, Craft still makes these trousers and the updated version is made of a much lighter, silkier, very fast-drying fabric that is just marvellous. They are still mesh-lined and very comfortable against bare skin.  I think they will definitely be wearable well into spring. Meanwhile, they are superb winter trousers. 

With Craft's trousers well tested and proven, it made sense to try the matching waterproof jacket to replace my old Gore jacket. 

I have had the Craft Active Rain jacket two weeks. Initial impressions are that the fit is decent, even over a base layer and jersey. It's not quite as breathable as Gore if I'm really exerting myself. But so far, so good. 

So my Rainy Day Wardrobe is now Craft all the way. Layer underneath as appropriate for temperatures!

WET / COLDER

As the temperatures fell and the rains continued, my Rainy Day Wardrobe only needed tweaks to the accessories. 

Shoes with covers were replaced by full-on winter cycling shoes (mine being an older version of these Northwave Fahrenheit GTX (Gore-Tex) boots). 

Overall, so long as temperatures are above freezing, I'd rather have warm breathable fabrics on my head and hands, rather than full waterproofs. So cap gave way to merino knitted hats and summer gloves retired in favour of gloves with more protection overall. (My search for comfortable winter gloves is a tale in itself. My hands don't feel the cold as badly as what many people experience. "Winter" gloves are much too hot and sweaty for me. This autumn I totally got lucky with a pair of Pearl Izumi Cyclone Gel Gloves and the black Hirzl Grippp Tour Thermo Gloves shown in the accessories photo below (which are just about my favourite gloves of all time.)

COLD / DRY 

In the temperate climate of southern England, when temperatures drop towards freezing (0 degrees Celsius / 32 degrees Fahrenheit), skies are clear and the ground is heavy with frost.

(Below that, ice is the key concern. I have a spare wheelset fitted with studded tyres ready to go onto my Cross Check at a moment's notice, but I have yet to give this a try. This means, I have no knowledge of sub-freezing cycling conditions or can't pass on any tips! But there are bloggers in parts of the world where winter commuting is something of an "extreme sport" who certainly do and can! Please let me know if you would like me to point you in their direction.)

Winter hit us properly a week or so ago. Its arrival coincided with acute episodes of a couple of medical conditions from which I suffer occasionally -- which meant, no cycling for me!  (Although I did continue cycling on Lorelei in central London.) This means -- I have a Freezing Cold Wardrobe all primed and ready, but as yet quite untested! 

The key piece is my new Showers Pass Rogue Hoodie. It's slated to be waterproof, windproof and breathable. I have been wearing it as a casual jacket over a base layer and long-sleeve jersey and am finding this a good combination for light exercise in cold, crisp weather. Whether it is breathable enough for the faster road commute on the rural end of my commute remains to be seen. Also, I have not yet been caught in a proper downpour while wearing this jacket, so it will be interesting to see if it truly is "Weatherproof". 

(I hope to do a proper review of this jacket once I've explored the full scope of what it can comfortably do. My take so far is that there are two features I personally could wish were designed differently, but for some reason I adore this jacket and am wearing it every day. It's really cosy and comfortable. I suspect I will love it in spite of any flaws!) 

ACCESSORIES

That's all the main pieces covered so what about the smaller bits and bobs for face, head and hands? 

Head
I do love my Walz caps -- I believe I have four in various colours at last count! 

Beyond that, I have a variety of knitted caps -- again, all being wool. These fall into two categories: 

* fine, lightweight knit that isn't bulky but does a good job of keeping cold out, especcially in combination with a headband or ear warmers. 

* chunky, textured knit that is quite bulky and warm but that does tend to let more air and wind in. These are usually warm enough for cold days other than allowing wind to whistle in your ears. Unfortunately, the fit is often too snug to comfortably allow a headband or buff underneath. And they can be sweaty on a long, faster ride. But they play a vital role in my accessories wardrobe, and often come in colours and patterns that brighten any winter's day!

Hands
In the photo above are (1) thin glove liners, (2) medium weight/bulk full-fingered gloves, and (3) warm, heavy winter gloves. I tend towards category 2 most of the time. A few years ago, I wasted far too much time and money trying lots of different gloves that claimed to be waterproof (with all the frustration and disappointment such a wild-goose chase entails) before concluding I'd rather have gloves that keep my hands at a manageable temperature than gloves that keep every bit of moisture out (while keeping sweat in!). 

So gloves falling into categories 2 and 3 are a very personal business. Only you know how badly you feel the cold, how much your hands sweat (or not), how loathful you find having wet hands. 

I can say however that it's worth having a pair of glove liners in your winter arsenal. They are thin, light and inobtrusive adn (provided they don't make the fingers of your gloves feel too snug) can considerably extend the temperature range of your usual gloves.

'MOST VALUABLE PLAYER'

For most items you might wish to have to make winter cycling possible -- and indeed even enjoyable -- wherever you live, you will probably find you are spoiled for choice and at the end of the day, what is "best" is whatever you find you prefer. 

I would, however, like to put a brief word in for a few items that I have found surprisingly useful and versatile. 

First is the ubiquitous 'multi-functional' knitted tube. The original and best (in my opinion) is the Buff(R) brand. I have a few of their standard fabric ones but for winter, the merino version really comes into its own. I wear them around my neck and folded over my ears (headband style) mostly, but they can of course be worn as full head coverings and work well under other hats, caps and even helmets. 

Second, for me personally, is my Gore Windstopper headband. Without a doubt, this has made the difference between a comfortable ride and a miserable one, many times. 

Lastly, I love my dhb cargo trousers from Wiggle. I generally hate trousers and every pair of cargo trousers I have tried on for the past 30 years have been simply disastrous for my body shape, but I love these so much, I wear them most days and would wear them every waking moment if that was appropriate! The fabric is substantial but soft and somewhat stretchy, adding a layer of wind resistance and (not too much) warmth. The pockets are useful, and the cut of the leg is not "skinny" but is trim enough to wear while riding any bicycle without a chain guard without risk that the leg could get caught in the chain or on the big chainring. So these are my Tip of the Day! 

SUMMARY

My conclusions from three years ago still stand: 
  • Merino is worth its weight in gold and is wonderful next to the skin, head to toe. I look for sales when I can but, even at full price, I believe merino items to be good value. Almost without exception, every merino piece I've bought (whether SmartWool, Icebreaker, Ibex, EDZ, Endura BaaBaa or Vulpine) has survived several years of  regular use. (Others will swear by silk for all your base layer needs. They may be right! I haven't tried it.)
  • Then layer according to temperature. Have a few items in your wardrobe to choose from, of varying weights and thicknesses, tightness of weave etc.
  • Lastly, wear an outer layer to address windchill and/or precipitation. It will be up to you -- and perhaps some trial and error -- to balance out the competing priorities of waterproof and breathable. Manufacturers make amazing claims about the technical fabrics used to make their products, with prices to match, but remember: you do not always get what you pay for! Some brands position themselves at a higher end of the market but that doesn't necessarily mean they deliver, while other brands pitch 'value for money' and punch well above their weight. 

As to where to find great deals on winter cycling gear, I highly recommend SportPursuit, which runs flash sales and manages to get stock in from brands all over the world, some of which are very highly regarded in other parts of the world but virtually unknown in the UK! 

Please do contribute your own tips and enperiences in the comments below!

4 comments:

  1. My commute is about 7 miles of mostly country lanes and one or two small hills. I go through a similar shift into winter. 3/4's til my feet start to get cold, then Roubaix tights. Top half is a gradual change to sleeveless undershirt, long sleaved top from short and a heavier duty jacket. I switch either to a Buff under my helmet (particularly if its icy) or fleecy cap with ear covers.

    Endura Baa Baa is my favourite undershirt. Long sleeved Fat Cyclist shirt. Just recently got a Vulpine Original Rain Jacket, its quite nice but a little short in the body. Quite breathable but I seem to have very sweaty arms, hence the sleeveless undershirt. I don't bother with waterproof legs and just have toe covers on my shoes.

    Jayne swears by her Buffs. She got a Louis Garneau rain jacket last year which seems quite good. She had a Shower Pass jacket before but got rid of it because it wasn't very breathable at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting ready to go out in the snow shortly and yes, I'm wearing my Endura BaaBaa L/S baselayer which I love.

      I'm with Jayne on the Showers Pass jackets -- at least, the Century one I've had for 5 years made from eVent fabric. Great fit but boil-in-the-bag. Hoping this new one made from Artex will be a bit more versatile.

      Delete
  2. PS. Fitted my studded tyres yesterday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam is fitting my studded tyres at this very moment! Turns out, unbeknownst to be me, my ready-to-go winter wheelset had already been cannabalised for some other project, so his penance is swapping out tyres. Marathon Plus, so punishment indeed!

      Delete

Share This