Thursday 19 March 2015

Mini Reviews of Women's Bib Shorts - Some Brands "Get It", Some Don't

Some time ago, a discussion about womens bib shorts came up on the LovelyBicycle! blog. The usual issues were covered: lack of availability generally, lack of choice for sizes and body shapes and of course the inevitable challenge of the Toilet Break, or as some manufacturers delicately if somewhat obtusely put it, the "Bio Break"*. 

At some point in the middle of the discussion, I was struck with the impulse to dig out all the bib shorts I owned and take comparative photos. So I abandoned the computer for 15 minutes, dashed upstairs, upturned a few drawers, arranged various samples on the bed, snapped a couple of shots, then uploaded them to a photo website so that I could post a link to share with the other ladies in the discussion. On each of the two photos, I jotted down the brand and style name of each item, a link to where they can be bought (ideally where more details are provided directly by the manufacturer) and then a summary of what I personally thought of each pair. 

A suggestion was made that I blog about this myself. I certainly intended to but somehow it didn't really make it onto my To Do list. 

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I had a clear-out of all the cycling kit that I don't wear regularly, for one reason or another. When it came to the bib shorts, I realised my experiences over the past few years have refined my preferences considerable, down to the point where I really only ever wear Gore branded bib shorts or bib longs.** So everything else went into the Outbound bag. And I decided it might be helpful to capture and preserve my "overviews" (not "reviews") in a more accessible place, i.e. here on the blog. 

So without further ado - I present a selection of bib shorts of various designs, highlighting where I think some manufactures have successfully figured out the whole Women's Bib Short "thing" and where others are just playing a Gimmick Game


Styles of Top


From left to right: 
  1. GORE BIKE WEAR'S POWER 2.0 Thermo LADY Bibtights - Y FRONT
  2. ICEBREAKER GT RHYTHM Merino bib shorts - Y FRONT
  3. PEARL IZUMI WOMENS AMFIB DROP TAIL bib tights - ZIP VEST
  4. dhb LADIES VAEON 3/4 Padded Bib Tight - PULL-UP VEST
  5. GIORDANA bib short - "SUSPENDER/BRACE" STYLE STRAPS 

Styles of Bottom, i.e. dealing with the Bio Break or Not, that is the question



Same shorts, from left to right: 
  1. GORE BIKE WEAR'S POWER 2.0 Thermo LADY Bibtights - 2 ZIPS AT SIDES OF WAIST
  2. ICEBREAKER GT RHYTHM Merino bib shorts -- NO LOO BREAK DESIGN
  3. PEARL IZUMI WOMENS AMFIB DROP TAIL bib tights) - "DROP TAIL" DESIGN (vest style top tucks in, pull elasticated waistband of bottoms up over the hem of vest)
  4. dhb LADIES VAEON 3/4 Padded Bib Tight - NO LOO BREAK DESIGN, SIMPLY PULL ON/OFF. 
  5. GIORDANA bib short - NO LOO BREAK DESIGN, SIMPLY PULL ON/OFF. 
So how did I find these in use?
  1. GORE BIKE WEAR'S POWER 2.0 Thermo LADY Bibtights - No issues on bike. Use for loo breaks requires a little practice to wriggle the seat of the shorts down enough. At first you fear stretching/tearing the material but it's more robust than it looks. Fabric is stretchy, fleece-backed but not overly thick. These tights are unpadded, which I have found to be versatile as I can layer them in winter over various shorts chosen according to the chamois pad I prefer for the type of ride I'm doing.
    VERDICT: Best to date.
  2. ICEBREAKER GT RHYTHM Merino bib shorts - I know it doesn't look like it in the photo but the straps and clasp rest higher on my chest than with the Gore pair, and they tend to slip askew. The fabric is a quite heavy merino so works really well in winter with my Ibex leg warmers of similar weight. Loo breaks require removal of jersey to pull entire garment down. Clasp can be niggly so I always base layer, which does mitigate chill factor during loo breaks. Chamois pad quite comfortable even for long rides.
    VERDICT: Good for rides of 5-6 hours in cold temperatures.
  3. PEARL IZUMI WOMENS AMFIB DROP TAIL bib tights) - Functions okay for loo breaks but top tends to ride up and/or bottom drag down a bit so a gap opens up when in road riding position. That's always annoying and a deal breaker for me. Top is lightweight lycra; bottom is roubaix/fleece, so intended for winter wear. 
    VERDICT: Did not work for me. It's one thing to have a loo-break feature work for the loo break but quite another for it to spoil the rest of your ride.
  4. dhb LADIES VAEON 3/4 Padded Bib Tight - Top is a bit compressive, which I like. I found the chamois to be uncomfortable on rides longer than 10 miles. No loo-break feature but for commuting, that's not an issue.
    VERDICT: Versatile spring/autumn commute wear.
  5. GIORDANA bib short. This was a Xmas present, possibly from Wiggle. NEVER WORN.
    VERDICT:  N/A

* Contrast this with the much wider availability of men's bib shorts, which, as far as I can tell, come in variations of what is still one basic design concept, as the whole "Bio Break" is, apparently, a much simpler proposition for them. The variations tend to address "technical performance" e.g. fabric, cut and fit. Whereas for women, manufacturers who still haven't sussed the whole issue of how to incorporate a design that allows the wearer to get (partially) in and out of them for very short periods of time without taking all the rest of her kit off offer think they can get away with just one option as to fit, fabric performance etc.... so long as they are offering a BioBreak solution! That's the gimmick. As to every other possible feature we may be looking for in a pair of bib shorts, we have to take whatever we can get. 

** Having 'settled' with Gore, I am aware I am not watching this segment of the market with the same focus (and frustration) as before, so it's very possible that great strides have been over the past year to increase the range and availability of women's bib shorts that actually do what they're supposed to do. I do know however that quite a few brands continue to ignore the issue altogether, offering bib shorts cut to fit women's bodies but with exactly the same design features as their men's range. I am not knocking this. But it does mean that I will likely never ever try the bib short version of what I consider to be hands down the best women's (non-bib) shorts on the market. Which is a bit of a shame. 

7 comments:

  1. This is great to be able to have a visual and breakdown of your experience with each brand of bibs. I have personally struggled with this so much that I've pretty well given up on it.

    I actually have a pair of Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Drop Tail bibs in my virtual cart online with one store as I type (I keep putting off buying them because I just can't justify spending the money right now). I also recently picked up a pair of men's Ibex bibs that were on clearance very cheaply, but I have not found those to be horribly comfortable (I haven't decided if it's different anatomy for men and women, or something else that bothers me). The biggest issues for me with men's bibs are 1) they are too long and cause me to get weird rashes around the back of me knee; 2) the tops/straps area tend to be overly large while the legs are small (I realize this is more my body type than anything, but it does present a problem with men's bibs).

    I actually wore the Ibex men's bibs on a ride last week and there is a sagging portion on my bum while the legs seem overly tight. Anyway, I was at a signal waiting to go and as it turned I started to pedal and stand and the back of the shorts got caught on the saddle and I couldn't get up. I kind of freaked out because I was crossing a highway and the signal changes very quickly and I couldn't get separated. At this point, I'm not sure I want to try again with them because it's become a safety hazard beyond just being uncomfortable.

    I also thought I'd mention that I don't believe Icebreaker makes the bibs for ladies anymore. I went on a hunt for them last year and never found them, and I don't see them on their website for 2015 either. Quite unfortunate as they seemed like a great option.

    Giordana shorts and bibs never seem to fit me properly. I think it's because they are made for those with "cycling bodies" which I do not and will never have. They always seem to have a nice selection, but if the product doesn't fit, I suppose it's all moot (for me).

    As for being able to take a "biobreak" I still find that regular shorts rather than bibs seem to be the answer... but, that brings another set of problems often times to longer rides. Maybe one of these days there will be a better solution.

    Thanks for taking the time to do this. Very valuable! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of some benefits to wear bib shorts. But I haven't worn a set nor am I motivated for all that. I don't have a problem with jerseys riding up on me at all since I'm small and slim.

    And shorts...well less of an issue for me. I wonder why competitive women cyclists don't wear bibs often ..at least in the race shots that we often see.

    Cycling for long distances, I am not familiar with many women who wear them either. But hey, I don't cycle in groups regularily for time trials, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my experience, the benefit of wearing bibs vs shorts is more that there isn't that elastic around the center area. I've heard people complaining (even those who are quite slim) and I've personally experienced this, that the elastic waists can become quite uncomfortable over long distances. For some people, there is chaffing, bruising, etc. The waistband can also restrict breathing, particularly when leaned over the handlebars (probably not to the point anyone would pass out, but it is putting unnecessary pressure in an area that is needed while cycling and not allowing for maximum performance of the rider).

      Additionally, the chamois pad has a tendency to move when wearing regular shorts. If bib shorts fit properly (which is a whole other issue that needs work in the line of women's bibs). It is less likely a person will end up with saddle sores if the chamois isn't moving around all the time.

      I think the reason many women have avoided bibs to date is that there don't seem to be many manufacturers that understand what women need. Figuring out how to construct the top portion is a point of contention for some cyclists, and of course, we all have different builds, so I think finding something that works for the majority becomes challenging.

      In theory, a properly fitted bib short should be more comfortable than a regular bike short, but figuring out what that proper fit is for a cyclist? Well, there's the rub.

      Delete
    2. The absence of a waistband is a huge advantage of bibs. Finding a good fit is indeed the biggest challenge -- for most items of close-fitting sports clothing for women*, not just bibs and shorts -- but it seems women who do take the plunge and try bibs find them a total revelation. If you cycle long distances, they truly transform your ride in terms of comfort.

      I've never tried men's but once, getting ready for the morning commute in the semi-darkness, pulled a pair of Adam's cycling shorts on by mistake. Wow! While on paper our body measurements are very similar, I could not believe how different the proportions were and just how totally WRONG those shorts felt in every possible way!

      * The problem as I see it is, men who gain weight put most of it on around their belly. Clothing designers and manufacturers know how to calibrate that through all the sizes they decide to offer, so that most men will be able to comfortably wear their clothing, as long as they get the right size**. Women on the other hand come in so many *shapes* as well as sizes... the proverbial pear shape, apple shape, etc. And then it can all dramatically change as we lose, gain, re-lose, re-gain varying amounts of fat and/or muscle. For example, the brand that worked for when you were a size 8 will NOT work for your post-pregnancy size 12 body. The variables are virtually endless. (Other than sports clothing, similar challenges arise for jeans. God, don't we all hate shopping for new jeans...)

      ** And presumably this is why Rapha is so fat-ist. If you're an overweight man taking up cycling, you can get fully kitted out in Rapha in size XXXXXXXXXL (okay, I exaggerate slightly) and then -- get this!! - trade in your kit for smaller sizes as you lose weight!! How amazing is that?! If you're a woman though -- Simon Mottram doesn't want his clothing to be seen on "fat woman" and he has no expectation that you'll lose weight and thus no intention to reward you if you do. The largest the shorts/bibs go is approx. size 14 UK (that's 10/12 US), jerseys and jackets a good size smaller and then only if you have no breasts. Go figure. :(

      Delete
    3. Jean, I think you make several good points there: while bibs may be a useful item in some women's wardrobes, they're not necessary for the everyday transport cyclist.

      What you say about pro women cyclists though... they ARE all wearing bibs! With a jersey over the top, they look just like shorts "from the outside". ;)

      Delete
    4. And while I'm still thinking about bibs and the freedom from waist-bands... I find them a godsend when layering up in the winter, as I'm usually wearing two layers on my legs. For example, for a long road ride, I will often wear shorts and leg warmers, with my Gore long bib tights over them. For commuting, I usually wear padded roubaix (fleece) winter tights with some kind of trousers over them (either ordinary/street, or Gore softshell or windproof, or waterproofs). Without the option for one layer to be bibs, I'd have two firm bands around my waist. Sometimes the waistbands of two garments don't "play nicely together". Wearing bibs takes one waistband out of the equation without sacrificing -- indeed, usually enhancing -- cosiness and warmth.

      Delete
    5. Oh goodness... let's not get started on shopping for jeans... or swimsuits for that matter. Argh.

      Delete

Share This