Saturday 15 November 2014

#Coffeeneuring 2014: Ride 6


Destination:  Chilterns Gateway Centre (National Trust), Whipsnade Road, Dunstable, Bedfordshire, LU6 2GY
Date:  Saturday, 15 November 2014
Hot drink of choice:  Black Tea
Total mileage:  25km
Bicycle:  Lorelei the Puch Princess

My friend Tim* joined me for today's coffeeneuring expedition. He was quite intrigued by the whole concept! 

"Wow, a whole 2 mile minimum?!"
Which rules out the cafe in the village, unless I want to take the looooonnng way round. 

"Does it have to be a HOT drink?"
Well, yes.
And then he remembered the "hot beverage" designation, which is impossible for an Englishman to say without one arched eyebrow and tongue firmly in cheek. 

"Did you remember to get a photo?
Yes, I did. 


"Will I get mentioned on your blog for this?"
Well, of course!


*who I had not seen in... let's see... eight years as near as I can figure out, possibly longer. I remember a camping trip in northern France before I started my law degree in 2005. One dear friend on that trip has since died. It seems a lifetime ago. Tim and his girlfriend Kate (later wife) discovered kite buggy-ing on the beaches around the mouth of the Somme on that trip. The trip was also memorable for all the small snails on our campsite that worked their way into my tent, sleeping bag, everything I owned... and came home with me... mostly squished flat. I didn't own a bike, then. Neither did Tim. He 'found' me this year via this blog. Turns out, we've been crossing each other's paths at various local events for the past two years without spotting each other. It's almost uncanny. Meeting up with him again is one of the very nicest things that has happened as a result of this little blogging lark of mine. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh, that is great you reconnected this way! Pretty cool how blogging can make the world smaller. The drink does not technically have to be hot (I've allowed iced coffee and things), but if you're a purist hot is a best practice :)).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, MG! I guess I'm a purist. On one ride, what I really fancied was a Diet Coke but I got a cappuccino as well so that, in my mind, the ride qualified. ;)

      Delete
  2. What a nice way to finish off your Coffeeneuring adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite finished, Dave. Still ride 7 to do... and it's the last day... and the odds of getting it done are looking slim. Ah well.

      Delete

Share This