Monday 14 April 2014

** NOW SOLD** My beloved Surly Pacer road bike

UPDATE 13th August 2014:  
The Pacer has finally found a new home and a good one too.
I hope Camilla of Hackney enjoys many happy miles with Robin, as I did. 



FOR SALE: 2011 Surly Pacer, size 50cm, British Racing Green


I’ve owned this bike since new (March 2012), with frequent use up until October 2013. It doesn’t fit me perfectly but I’ve ridden it approx. 4500 kilometers. It’s quick, light, responsive, steady on fast descents ‑ just a joy to ride. 

It breaks my heart to see this bike go! My riding buddies and readers of this blog will know of some of our wonderful adventures together. I am only letting it go -- very reluctantly -- because its purpose and character overlap a great deal with my custom Enigma, so it's honestly now surplus to requirements. Still, it's taken me 6 months to get to the point of selling... 

So, deep breath, now to business.

CONDITION

Mechanically it’s been very well looked after. A new chain and rear mech were fitted last August, just a few weeks before the bike was “retired”. The cassette and crankset are in very good shape, with little sign of wear. Tyres and brake pads likewise – lots of “meat” and miles to go. 

Cosmetically, it has lots of very fine scruffs over much of the paintwork. No dents, nothing wearing through the paint. A few scuffs on components e.g. crank arms, STI levers, handlebars.

I could wish that it was in 100% pristine "could eat off the chain" CLEAN but short of completely dismantling it... well, it's pretty good. And it's been cleaned regularly which I think is reflected in its mechanical condition. I mean, 4500km on a cassette that still shows little wear is pretty good going!

SPECIFICATION

From Surly’s 2011 catalogue:

Tubing: Surly 4130 CroMoly steel. Main triangle double-butted. TIG-welded.
Rear dropouts: Vertical Breeze-In dropouts, 130mm spaced
Brake compatibility: Standard reach post-mount road calipers
Braze-ons: Single fender eyelets front and rear, dual water bottle mounts, and pump peg (54cm and larger) NB. NOT ON THIS 50cm BIKE
Seatpost diameter: 27.2mm
Seatpost clamp: 30.0mm Surly stainless, included
Headset: 1–1/8" threadless
Front Derailleur Clamp Diameter: 28.6mm
Bottom bracket shell: 68mm wide, threaded English 1.37" x 24t
Tyre clearance: Room for 700c x 32mm or 700c x 28mm with fenders
Color: British Racing Green
Weight: 56cm = 4.45 lb (2.02kg) 
Fork: uncut = 2.09 lb (0.95kg)

SIZE/GEOMETRY

Here's the geometry chart from Surly's 2011 catalogue. For size 50cm, the seat tube measures 50cm and the effective top tube length is 53 cm.



CUSTOM BUILD (i.e. not Surly’s stock “Complete Bike” build)

Handlebars: Bontrager Race Lite Anatomic-C ergo drop bars, oversized, 38mm wide, 75mm reach, 125mm drop
Bar tape: new black Fi’zi:k tape just fitted
Fork/steerer has been left UNCUT, giving maximum flexibility for handlebar height
Stem: Ritchey 80mm
Headset: Ritchey
Brakes: Tektro R358
Shifters: Shimano STI Tiagra 9-speed
Crankset: Compact double 50/34 with FSA Vero cranks 170mm
Cassette: Shimano 9-speed 12-36
Front mech: Shimano Tiagra
Wheelset: Alex R390 rims, DT Swiss silver spokes (32h front, 36h rear), Shimano Tiagra hubs
Tyres: Continental Ultra Sport, 700c x 28mm

ALSO INCLUDED

WTB saddle that came new with my Surly Cross Check (which was Surly's stock build). This saddle has never been used but has been knocking around the garage and has a few scuffs.

One bottle cage.

NOT INCLUDED

Pedals – though we can throw something temporary on if you come for a test ride. 

Computer: A Cateye Velo8 wired computer was fitted to the bike its entire “life”. It has been removed in preparation for this sale, but is available to the buyer for £10. Nice if you want to have a computer already set up for this bike and holding all its ride data.

PHOTOS

Note about the colour. I've found it really hard, the entire time I've owned this bike, to get a good capture. The close-up shots of the components are probably the truest, as to the shade of green. Dark, rich, not bright.























PRICE

In the region of £650. 

COLLECTION

Anyone seriously interested is more than welcome to come to our home for a test ride... and a cup of tea! And of course, to collect from us at home if purchasing. 

If the buyer is unable to come to us, I could probably meet them in most parts of greater London but I'd have to be able to get there entirely by train during off-peak times. (I can't ride the bike across town between termini and I can't take it on the underground.) I can't do this for "just" test rides though - you'll need to come to us.

I am also advertising the bike via Facebook and Twitter. If it has not been sold by end of April, it'll be listed on Ebay. I'd obviously prefer to sell to/through someone I know but that's just me being sentimental.... :(

Please do feel free to e-mail me with any questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This