Saturday 15 March 2014

Reaching Out


Today I went out cycling with the Ivinghoe Velos for the first time. I've known about this group (club?) for a while. From what one local cycling friend had told me, it sounded like the Velos do the kind of rides I like. I've been thinking it would be nice to ride with other people once or twice midweek rather than always solo. The only 'downside': their location/meeting point is 12 miles away, west of the Chilterns on the edge of Aylesbury Vale. This means a solid hour of hard, hilly cycling just to get to their rides, and then the same again to get home afterwards.

However, it seemed worth a try. And boy, am I glad I did! The ride itself today was easy paced, well within my current capabilities, but the people on it were very welcoming and friendly and I've made a few new contacts that hopefully will become regular mid-week riding buddies. (I can't put into words right now how happy this prospect makes me.)





Ivinghoe Velos' Saturday rides are called 'Tea Rides', a name that nicely reflects their social nature. Cyclists meet at the Rose and Crown, a lovely pub in Ivinghoe, a village I have ridden through several times, each time telling myself "I really must stop to take some photos one day!"  It's lovely.





40 miles in total today. The Grumpy Knee is holding up -- a month of Diclofenac seems to have made a world of difference. So the #ScotTourTraining is back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This