Saturday 22 February 2014

Grumpy Knee 2, Velovoice 0

via Google Images

I’ve been having problems again with my arthritis. Dealing with this has been a life-long project (starting at approx. age 11) and very much a matter of good management: knowing my limitations and pacing myself, appropriate exercise, and watching my diet. Over the years, I've gradually learned what to do and how, and also what not to do! So just a few weeks ago, I was feeling grateful that I haven't had acute knee pain since late spring last year.

On Wednesday however, I was forced to turn back for home on my way to a club ride, with my left knee feeling tight and stiff with a kind of burning sensation. Massage seemed to help and that afternoon I found an old (expired!) stash of Diclofenac at the back of the storage cupboard.

On Thursday, my knee felt much better, still creaking but not hurting. On Friday, I cycled into Dunstable and back without much complaint from the knee ‑ it felt a bit 'weak' or unstable but functional and not hurting.

However, last night it was feeling a bit stiff and creaky again so I dosed up on Diclofenac plus a short measure of (medicinal) Bicardi ‑ and had a really good night's sleep. I woke up this morning with the left knee not feeling much better and now with the right knee also complaining a bit. After some massage and stretching and more Diclofenac, I suited up for a road ride because it is such a gorgeous day for a ride, and the opportunity to join in on a joint Breeze Network Luton & Bedfordshire + (i)vinghoe Velos ride seemed too good to miss!

I made it to the village sign on the other side of Caddington before I was forced by pain to turn back.

Stupid stupid blasted knee. Now what?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This