Friday 21 June 2013

Brooks Swallow Saddle - New Leather Top!

I bought my Surly Pacer at the end of March 2012. My chosen saddle was the Brooks Swallow - which is just gorgeous!

29 March 2012: brand spanking new out of the box

29 March 2012: the new build is complete


Less than two months later, however, I noticed the leather was beginning to sag in the middle. I thought this a bit strange. I expected softening or even indents to start forming under my sitbones, but not a depression in the middle of the saddle...

7 May 2012 after about 500km of riding.
I contacted the retailer about this, who kindly put me in touch directly with Brooks England. I was advised to tighten the tensioning bolt under the nose by a quarter turn to draw up the "slack". Brooks reassured me that the saddle has a two-year warranty so if the sagging continued to an unacceptable degree, let them know and they'd replace the entire leather top.

I set about tightening the bolt, only to find that it apparently had not been tensioned properly before leaving the shop (or perhaps even the factory) -- it took 3-4 complete turns before any tensioning effect could be detected!

Over the past year, I have gently tightened the tension twice more. But the sagging continued.

Early this month, over the course of about two days, the saddle went from being vaguely uncomfortable to completely unrideable.

9 June 2013 after 3,161 kilometres. 

A flat spot had began to develop right across the middle of the saddle, as if the entire leather piece was trying to fold itself in half, from nose to cantle.

9 June 2013 after 3,161 kilometres.  

And this folding process was pulling the steel plate underneath askew.

9 June 2013 after 3,161 kilometres. 

By this time, the tension bolt was about halfway through the tension bracket. I could not see how this saddle could "last a lifetime" if this continued to progress. So I notified Brooks, asking them to replace the leather top as per the warranty. I also enquired about upgrading to the Select leather top, which is supposed to be better suited to "high mileage cyclists". (The Select leather is not dyed, so has not been weakened by that kind of processing. It presumably is also a bit thicker.)

I haven't received any communication yet from Brooks but today I received the saddle back, with brand new leather top --




I know this isn't an entire new saddle, as there are marks and bits of rust on my frame -- which nonetheless has been cleaned up and polished.

I could wish there'd been a response on the question of replacing with Select leather, but that's a side issue. I am very impressed with Brooks' turnaround time on this and how absolutely new my saddle looks again.

The Swallow is the best feeling saddle I've ever ridden, so this failure so early in its life was quite worrying. I am very happy to have it back, better than ever -- and this time correctly tensioned! My Pacer looks "complete" and normal again and this makes me happy.

9 comments:

  1. How did the new top perform?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, it did exactly the same thing, even faster. From one ride to the next, it went from uncomfortable to unrideable. I had heard that the honey leather "breaks in" faster than black and I do think it's thinner and softer. I have a much older black one that is still as firm as when new. I love the shape of the Swallow straight out of the box. The instant it starts sagging, it's no longer as good for me. I've thought about trying the Cambium version (which can't sag) but friends say the surface is so rough it chews up lycra shorts. Not good.

      Delete
    2. Just went through this. Decided to park my 8 year old swift for a new swallow. Second season, the nose started to bend sidewise. Multiple straightening and by the end of second season - off the end of the tensioning bolt. Distributor gave me no help. Eventually used guerilla warfare via facebook and Brooks has been excellent this week. New select leather coming and a Cambrium!

      Delete
  2. Exactly the same thing has happened to my Swallow too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sean, yes this does seem to a common problem with the newer saddles which seem to have softer leather. I've given up on Brooks altogether and moved to Selle SMP saddles. Hope you've found a solution -- whether it's pursuing Brooks for a replacement or changing saddles altogether.

      Delete
  3. I have a swallow with the "select" leather. It's the only brooks saddle I've ever ridden on but from your description, this select version must be a lot tougher! I've ridden over 1k miles and it's just barely starting to break in. Although I've realized I made a mistake when I purchased this saddle without measuring my sit bones first, cuz the saddle is a little too narrow and it will probably never be very comfortable for me. Would anyone be interested in buying the b15 swallow select?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Select versions have always been advertised as being made of tougher/thicker leather! Especially (apparently) black. If you're looking to sell, I'd suggest posting up in the Buy/Sell/Trade area of any cycling forum --- in the UK, cyclechat.net.

      Delete
  4. I solved it by pinching holes in the side and using a shoelace to tighten the saddle sideways. The production mistake is in the incorrect cutting of the pieces who are revetted together by the patent plate. if the seating area is not tensioned enough sideways it will always go to hammock. A pitty for a saddle this pricy.
    P.S. my saddle was also not brought on tension before it reached me.
    P.P.S. the leather bar tape (which I really like for having the same look as the saddle) rips very easily when applying some tension when mounting it to the handlebars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about a Sella Italia Mitica the leather is considerably thicker with a laminated construction underneath to way lay sagging and water resistant taboot! It's also hand made in Italy.

    ReplyDelete

Share This