Wednesday 8 May 2013

Update: TRAKKE BAIRN messenger bag, or, Customer Service Master Class



A few weeks ago, I put Alec Farmer of TRAKKE on the spot.

I wrote a product review on his company's smallest messenger bag, the Bairn, which included criticisms of how the shoulder strap had been fitted and the absence of a few cycling-specific features that I consider essential. And then I published that review for the world to see. And only then did I let him know about my complaints -- by posting a link to my review on TRAKKE's Facebook page.

This was all a bit unfair, I realise now, even considering that Alec and I had several exchanges by e-mail before I ordered the bag and from that, he may already have been aware that I write a cycling blog with a slight fixation on reviewing messenger bags!

In any event, Alec read that review and e-mailed me that very afternoon.



The problem has now been completely resolved. And since I put the complaint out there in public before Alec had had any opportunity to "make it right", I want now to show you how he dealt with it.  Below are extracts from the e-mails between myself and Alec, as he made every effort to ensure that one individual customer was completely satisfied with his product and his service.

This is what Superlative Customer Service looks like.

***********************************************

12 April 2013 14:16

Hi Alec

The Bairn arrived just fine - and boy is it gorgeous!

I've got a problem though - the shoulder strap is sewn on "wrong way round" i.e. suited to use over the right shoulder rather than the more usual left shoulder. I didn't think to ask about this before ordering, as the default for bag makers is for left shoulder use and that's how all the photos on your website show your bags.

Anyway - I've just posted a review on my blog in my usual warts-and-all fashion. There's a photo or two of the bag on my back and I think you can see the problem.

Is it possible please to return the bag to you for the strap to be fixed right way round?  I'd much rather your talented people do it than a local bag repair shop - as you guys know exactly what thread to use, etc.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Rebecca


********************

12 April 2013 14:57 

Hi Rebecca, 

Glad to hear your bag arrived safely. 

Apologies about the strap - we can happily swap the strap around for you if you like, although I'm not really sure I understand the problem. If you wear the bag as you do in the photo, if we swap it around the buckle will hit your shoulder. Is it the double layer of webbing that is an issue? 

As you correctly identified in your review, the Bairn isn't designed to be a fully specced messenger bag. In our tech specs, you can see that we don't profess to it being fully featured. It is designed to be an essentials bag that you can use on your bike. Most of our customers don't seem to have the same issue as you with the bag sat high on the back. Having said that, most customers don't add a stabiliser strap, so its hard to say. 

Nonetheless, thanks for your feedback about the bag. Perhaps we will add some of the features you have mentioned it lacking!

Let me know how we can help to fix your bag for you. 

Hope you are well

Alec Farmer

********************

12 April 2013 15:03

Hi Alec

Thanks for the quick response. Sorry to have dumped this on you on a Friday afternoon! It's been on my mind and then I finished the blog write up and decided I had to contact you about it.

Yes, I suppose the double thickness is the main issue. Thinking it through, perhaps the strap is also a bit too long for me?  I'll do some experimenting and measurements over the weekend and get back to
you on Monday - then we can arrange for me to post the bag up to you.


Oh and about the Bairn not being fully specced as a messenger bag... I know a lot of women cyclists like myself who LOVE messenger bags for use on the bike but just can't handle the size, proportions and potential weight of the larger ones. It seems you have to go up to at least 14 L capacity to get all the goodies!  I find 5-10 liters just about perfect to keep the important stuff with me - extra jacket etc
goes in a saddlebag.

Many thanks and have a great weekend.

Rebecca


********************
12 April 2013 15:31
After reading the review I had a wee thought - to be honest, some of the features you feel are lacking on the Bairn are all there on the Wee Lug. The Bairn is designed as an essentials bag for pretty light use. The wee lug, though bigger, was designed to fit those with leaner frames, especially women, much better, and is a lot more fully featured. 

I agree that the Bairn could potentially be made more cycle specific, but bear in mind that with extra work would come extra cost. Manufacturing in the UK is expensive!

Anyway, just a thought!
Keep in touch!

Alec Farmer

********************

25 April 2013 16:07

Hi Alec

Sorry for the delay in sending the Bairn back to you to re-fit the shoulder strap. I've been playing around with different lengths, both on and off the bike, to be sure I've decided what length works best.  I've now got it set, with a bull-dog clip holding it!  I'll post it off this afternoon. Please could you acknowledge safe receipt when it arrives and then give me an idea how long it'll take to shorten the
strap and sew it back on "other way round" as discussed.
 

Any questions, please do give me a call.

Thank you!

Rebecca

********************

26 April 2013 15:52

Hi Rebecca, we have received the bag safely!

Quick question…is the bulldog clip placed where you would like the sternum strap to be sewn in? Or is that the ideal length of strap? If it is the length of strap, do you want us to shorten it so that the metal triglide doesn't hit your shoulder?

Let me know some details so we can get it right for you!

Thanks
Alec Farmer

********************

And with a couple more exchanges about the desired length of the strap, that was it!   



I received the altered bag back last Friday. The shoulder strap is now the perfect length (shortened to where I had pinned a bulldog clip, plus a little extra), with the buckle now under my right arm (where I prefer it) rather than my left, and it's been sewn in as perfectly as if that's the way it was from the beginning.

Full marks to TRAKKE for a top-quality 'home-grown' product and the very best kind of personalised customer service.



*************************

My reviews of other messenger bags can be found: 
  • Ortlieb Zip City S here and here
  • Timbuk2 Classic Messenger XS (custom) here
  • Knog Big Dog here
  • Michaux Commuter here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This