Monday 20 May 2013

Windmills Through A Lens, or, Fueled By Fat

*************************

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT YOUR NORMAL RIDE REPORT.

Some of my family, friends and readers are aware that I have resumed a ketogenic diet as the only way I have found of controlling my lifelong IBS. For a brief potted history, you can read this.

The first proper long ride I have done since returning to health through this diet was Adam's "Tilting At Windmills" ride on Saturday, 11 May. So this is not so much a report focusing on the ride itself but a report on my first attempt at riding more than 30 miles being fueled by ketones, rather than carbs.

*************************

My day was 115km (just shy of 70 miles) in total, with the first 18km being quite hilly and into a stiff headwind, with the next 32km continuing into that headwind but being mercifully flat.

While I wouldn't go so far as to say it was "a piece of cake" (pardon the expression), I did find it remarkable for lack of "struggle". 

I had a normal breakfast, normal lunch in pub, normal dinner when we got home (very late). Nothing else.
I experienced no fatigue, no hunger, no thinking about food.
Drank normal amounts of water with Hi5 Zero tabs.
I felt pretty great the whole day actually, even on the hills and in the wind.

Okay, there was one long drag where I was cursing Adam but that was more because he'd said "no more hills from here to Tring", not because the hill was a b*st*rd. Although, it kinda was. At one point I looked for a lower gear that I just didn't have. Not finding it, I just MTFU'd and got on with it. Certainly no problem with energy to do it.

Perhaps more striking was how I felt after the ride. I was tired when I got home, but didn't have that urge to crash that I used to get. Of course that may be because this was a day right rather than a FNRttC!  Next day, I had a little soreness in the calves and hamstrings (my usual weaknesses) but, to be honest, I've felt worse after a Pilates session. Normal activities through Sunday and didn't give it a thought. Was back on the bike Monday -- felt absolutely normal -- did a fast 10km then went looking for some hills! (Not like me at all!! But I'm getting better and beginning to <gulp> enjoy it.)

This was my first ride over 57km since mid-October, having switched to a ketogenic diet on 7 November 2012.

All in all, I've experienced no cons and found some surprising pros to this diet - and that's on top of the IBS relief and slow weight loss.

I'm sticking with it.

RECOMMENDED READING: "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" and "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" both by Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney - click links for Amazon.co.uk

*************************

And now -- as a reward for reading this far in the hope there might be something actually about the ride! -- a few piccies:




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This