Saturday 13 April 2013

Book Review: LOST LANES by Jack Thurston


I've just received a copy of Jack Thurston's new book, "Lost Lanes", available online here. This is a collection of "36 glorious bike rides in southern England".

Some of you will know Jack from his UK radio show The Bike Show (available round the world by podcast). Funny thing but I've never actually listened to Jack's show! I know him personally from group rides based in and around London, usually organised by Southwark Cyclists.  From conversations with him, I know he is enthusiastic about the joys of cycling for pleasure and also about the English countryside. His new book bring those two passions together... along with to-die-for photography and an insider's knowledge of where to find the best country pubs!

This is by no means the first "cycle route" book to be published here in the UK in the past few years. In fact, I was given a copy of one very popular one for my birthday year before last. Have I tried any of the routes in it?  No.  Why?  Because all the start and finish points are predicated on the need for a car. (Hello?!)

Jack's routes on the other hand are all easily accessible from London for all of us who are car-free, because the start and finish points are train stations! This means I'm actually likely to try out some of Jack's routes and can't wait to do so. The photographs have me salivating already... the countryside in Kent looks particularly appealing....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This